Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides funds to local Community Action Agencies that are used to help eligible families with energy costs. With the support of LIHEAP funding, Darlington County Community Action Agency provides federally funded assistance to individuals in need to help manage costs associated with:
- Home energy bills
- Energy crises
- Energy-related minor home repairs
LIHEAP assistance can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer through programs that reduce the risk of health and safety problems that arise from unsafe heating and cooling practices.
Darlington County Community Action Agency offers the following programs for residents of Darlington County only:
- Direct Assistance (DA): LIHEAP's Direct Assistance program is designed to provide financial assistance to applicants to proactively prevent an emergency situation. The total assistance amount awarded to an individual is sent to the necessary energy supplier in the form of a voucher, which when applied to the applicant's account, will reduce the bill by the award amount. The minimum amount awarded is $225 but may reach up to $500, depending on the circumstances of the individual household.
- Emergency Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP): LIHEAP's ECIP program allows individuals who have a documented emergency to apply for and qualify for the ECIP program. The purpose of this program is to intervene in energy-related crisis situations, helping to alleviate some of the stress associated with an emergency. The maximum award amount individuals may receive for ECIP services is $1,000, which is sent directly to the energy supplier in the form of a voucher.
Getting Assistance: Eligible Darlington County residents may stop by our local office in Hartsville and complete and complete an application with an Intake Specialist to receive assistance. To receive assistance, individuals must bring with them:
- A copy of the applicant's Drivers License or State issued Identification card (expired Drivers Licenses are not accepted)
- Social Security Cards for all household members
- Proof of Income for all household members over eighteen (18)
- A copy of an electric/gas bill from the Energy Vendor
- Propane/Fuel Oil Bill Delivery Ticket
Program Eligibility: A LIHEAP applicant's total family income must not exceed 150% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.
To see if you meet the income requirements or to apply for assistance, visit our office at 904 S. 4th Street, Hartsville, SC 29550 or call 843.332.1135.
Darlington, Society Hill, and Lamar residents would apply at the Darlington location.
Hartsville Residents would apply at the Hartsville location.